The story of Sans Souci
Our name Sans Souci can be traced back to 1798, when master builder J. M. Quist built his country house at Frederiksberg Alle between no. 54 and 56, where Madvigs Allé today meets Frederiksberg Allé. Some 100 years later, the country house was demolished, and today it is only the name that lives on as Sans Souci Restaurant & Wine Bar.
Restaurant Sans Souci was built in 1902 and was originally situated on the corner of Gl. Kongevej and Madvigs Allé with outdoor service toward Madvigs Allé, but the big restaurant was closed in 1908 and the room was converted to several shops.
The present Sans Soucis premises were taken over by Andreas Petersen, who for many years had run the “Restaurant Mellemhavet” in Sommerlyst. Andreas Petersen only had the wine bar for a short time and then handed it over to William Hansen, and after some years it was taken over by the head waiter Henriksen from Schultz Variety.
During the difficult years of war, Henriksen developed the business to one of the largest and most cozy wine taverns in Frederiksberg, and over the years it welcomed many guests, famous artists, Frederiksberg’s master craftsmen and businessmen.
Henriksen died in 1926, and the business was for a short period of time managed by his widow, who sold it in 1927 to the restaurateur Karl Petersen.
Sans Souci was a now modernized and rebuilt according to modern requirement, and Karl Petersen managed the business successfully on the principle of good products at affordable prices. In 1934, he died suddenly, and his widow managed the wine bare for a number of years and kept it on the same good track.
A quick jump forward to 1981, when Dorte Bülow and her late husband Preben took over the Sans Souci, and soon they had imprinted their personality. Preben’s passion for French bistros, his focus on quality and fair prices, and Dorthe’s special way of taking good care of the guests created a special atmosphere, which has made Sans Souci the hang-out for many actors, artists and business people over the years.
We were fortunate enough to take over Sans Souci in 2014, where the place has been renovated and modernised once more. Nothing has been left out: the kitchen is new, the premises are cleaned up, the old stove has been located and installed, and the facade has been upgraded. But we have kept the atmosphere and the old pictures and portraits have again found their place at the walls of Sans Soucis.
We look forward to continuing the special atmosphere in these historic premises at Frederiksberg, and furthermore to leave our mark on the history of Sans Souci by serving delicious classic food and good wine.